RCMP have released the names of the victims killed in Friday’s shooting in La Loche.

Three males and one female, all from La Loche, who were killed during the shooting rampage are Dayne Fontaine, 17, Drayden Fontaine, 3, Adam Jacob Wood, 35, and Marie Jaqueline Janvier, 21.

A  17-year-old male from La Loche has been charged with four counts of first degree murder, seven counts of attempted murder and unauthorized possession of a firearm. He will make his first court appearance next week. The male can not be named as per the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Just after 1 p.m. Friday January 22, La Loche RCMP received several calls from teachers and students at the Dene High School in La Loche about an individual with a gun who was shooting at people in the school.

Police were on the scene in minutes and began to look for the suspect. A male was found, but tried to evade police by running further into the school. Police located him and at 1:15 took him into custody at gunpoint. No one was injured during the arrest.

Police continued to search the school and found nine people suffering with what they believed were gunshot wounds. EMS was also on scene to tend to the injured. Two succumbed to their injuries; Marie Jaqueline Janvier was declared dead at the school, and Adam Jacob Wood died at the La Loche Health Centre.

At the same time, police received another call about a deceased person in a residence on the 300 block of Dene Crescent. Police responded and found two males in the home dead. They were identified as Dayne Fontaine and Drayden Fontaine. No one else was in the residence at the time.

The seven injured at the school were taken to the La Loche Health Centre for initial treatment. Four of these individuals were then transported to Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon by STARS Air Ambulance.  The remaining three injured individuals are currently in the La Loche Health Centre and will be transported to Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon when weather conditions permit.

About 150 students and staff were in the school at the time of the shooting.

The school and the residence on the 300 block of Dene Crescent remain under police control as their investigation continues.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.